Frequently Asked Questions
The button on my jacket/shirt came off. Can I get replacement buttons?
You can send us a message through our Contact Form with your name, phone number, email address, and any other contact information you wish to provide, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
What is your return policy?
You may return the product to the retail location where it was purchased. Please refer to our Store Locator resource for a retailer near you.
How do I (or my group) get sponsored by Outback?
Due to the number of requests for sponsorship, Outback can only sponsor national level professional athletes and nationally recognized events. If you fit this profile, please send a sponsorship proposal via our Contact Form.
How can I become a model for Outback?
Outback typically uses professional models. Occasionally we need amateur models. You must be a size 33 and over 18 years old. If this fits you, please send a request with a link to your portfolio via our Contact Form., or mail to the address listed in the footer of this page.
Can I buy advertising space on your site?
Outback Trading Company has vowed never to sell advertising space in its website, in order to provide customers and retailers with a more pleasant and less incumbered experience.
Can I buy an Outback retail franchise?
Franchise opportunities and/or licensing to operate an Outback retail outlet are not available. We have no plans to franchise the operations at this time.
Can I buy a gift certificate?
At this time, we don't offer gift certificates. If we have a demand for them, we may offer them at a future date. Certain retailers may offer gift certificates for their establishment, which can be used to purchase Outback Trading products.
Why are not all options available on all products?
Sometimes the design of a pattern or the fabric a garment is made out of does not allow for certain options to be included. The designers have spent a great deal of time determining the best design for each garment and what will and will not work.
Do you have a phone number so we can call you?
Outback Trading Company provides a Contact Form for the general public to reach our customer support and management staff. Retailers who order and sell Outback products are given access to our telephone number for ease of communication.
What is oilskin?
Few people know that Australia’s famous Oilskin was actually born at sea. Sailors learned that treating old sails with linseed and whale oil would produce incredible protective wet weather gear. Technology has come a long way since then, and Outback’s Oilskin is engineered to keep the wearer dry in the heaviest of thunder storms, while being strong enough to withstand working life on the land. Outback Oilskin is produced from 100% Cotton, enabling the fabric to breathe. This property lends the fabric to not only high performance wet weather gear, but stylish casual clothing such as jackets and vests as well.
What can I expect from a brand new oilskin product?
Your oilskin garment may have a light oil surface residue from the manufacturing process. This is normal, and it will evaporate over time with normal wear. You can speed up the process by using a hair dryer. Care should be taken so the garment does not come into contact with other fabric or leather items until the surface oil has evaporated.
How do I clean my oilskin product?
1) soak in a tub of cold water, or hang outside and hose down
2) remove debris by brushing with a stiff brush
3) rinse in cold water
4) allow the coat to dry naturally — good air circulation, not in direct sunlight or close to a heat source
How do I reproof my oilskin product?
Periodic application of Duck Back Reproofing cream to the seams, friction points, and any dry areas will prolong the life and waterproof nature of your coat.
1) start with a clean, dry coat and a warm (hot) day
2) place coat in the sunshine for several minutes to allow it to heat up so it feels warm and supple to the touch. Do not leave unattended fabrics, extended exposure to sunlight will sun-bleach the fabric.
3) warm up the Duck Back dressing by putting the jar in the sun or in a pan of hot water
4) apply dressing sparingly to the coat using a clean cloth — a little extra to the seams and friction points
5) the sun will spread the dressing evenly and quickly through the coat fabric
6) a hand-held hair drier can be used to work the dressing into the cloth if you are reproofing when it is not hot and sunny
What do I do if it becomes stiff?
Clean and dry according to instructions and then apply a treatment of Duck Back Reproofer (see previous question for instructions). This will make the coat more supple.
How do I store my oilskin product?
Clean and dry your coat according to instructions. Be sure it is completely dry before storing away for the season by hanging it in an area with unrestricted air circulation.
How do I remove mildew?
Your coat may develop mildew if it is stored wet without being thoroughly dried or in a high humidity environment.
1) it is best to work outside if possible; however this can be done in a tub indoors if the weather outside will not permit
2) make a solution of 1/3 white vinegar + 2/3 water
3) apply this solution with a spray bottle while brushing the coat with a stiff brush — you can also put the solution in a bucket and use your brush to apply the solution from the bucket.
4) be sure to scrub all oilskin areas that you can reach — both sides of the fabric when possible
5) hang the coat up, hose off, and allow to dry thoroughly
*extreme cases may require a 2nd application of the vinegar solution - or - soaking in the solution for several hours after scrubbing.